Monday, November 13, 2006

Torn over Wal-Mart

Here's why-

Wal-Mart is one of the biggest abusers of eminent domain. It is because of them, (and other companies like them) that America is frantically trying to protect its own private property rights with ballot initiatives. Of course, they are a business, and businesses are trying to make money. If the system corrects itself and stops the abuse, then great.

On the other hand, Wal-Mart has decided to bring back Christmas, and it's out with "the Holidays." It makes me want to do ALL OF MY CHRISTMAS SHOPPING at Wal-Mart, exclusively.

Let's revisit this issue, briefly.

1. "Happy Holidays," "Holiday parties," and the rest of it have been put in place so as not to "offend" those who do not celebrate Christmas. The idea is that it makes them feel excluded.

2. Christmas is celebrated by about 90% of Americans.

3. In America, any religion can celebrate whatever holiday they want, with impunity.

4. If I were a Christian living in Israel, I would think "what a wonderful country--they are almost all Jewish, but I can put Christmas lights up around my house, have a Christmas tree, give gifts, and it is perfectly legal."

5. I would also be thrilled if I were invited to a chanukkah party. I would say "happy chanukkah" right back to anyone who said it to me.

The majority culture has the right to preserve its traditions OPENLY in society. Those who are offended by Christmas tress and nativity scenes are insecure in their own faith--especially in a country as open, free and tolerant as the United States. Good for you, Wal-Mart. Just stop trying to use the government to take property away from individuals in order to secure your empire.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home