Tuesday, November 21, 2006

Thanksgiving Thoughts

Well, I will be out of town for Thanksgiving, and probably not blogging much.

So here are a few words on the subject.

For thousands of years, man had been totally unable to provide a system of government that would simultaneously provide justice, freedom and security to all the people within it's borders.

Every system had major flaws regarding the treatment of women, minorities, and pretty much anyone who was different.

That was until the last 2 centuries. Has America been perfect in its treatment of all it's citizens? Of course not. But I think it is impossible to deny that the vast majority of people all over the world, at this point on the time line, wish they were middle class Americans. Hell, most of them would settle for a life as a poor American.

America is not what is wrong with the world. Our ideals of freedom, Judeo-Christian Values and pluralism are what are keeping the world from plunging into anarchy.

I am deeply thankful for the fact that I was born here. In this country, I am free. I am not rich, I am not loved by everyone I meet, I am not always shielded from being offended, and my absolute safety is not guaranteed. But I reiterate--I am free.

Happy Thanksgiving, wherever you are celebrating it, and however you are celebrating it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home